[HippoCMS-dev] JVM appears hung: Timed out waiting for signal from JVM. --> gets annoying

Dennis Dam d.dam at hippo.nl
Wed Apr 12 08:51:50 CEST 2006

I find this interesting piece on the tanuki-software website:

Because the Wrapper is using a pinging mechanism to check on the
health of the JVM, it is possible that the Wrapper will think that the
JVM is hung when it isn't if another process is taking 100% of the CPU
for longer than 30 seconds. This will result in an entry like the
following in your log file, and the JVM being restarted: jvm 1 |
2001/12/01 12:23:23 | start()

wrapper  | 2001/12/01 12:23:44 | Startup failed: Timed out waiting for signal from JVM.

wrapper  | 2001/12/01 12:23:44 | Java Virtual Machine did not exit on request, terminated

wrapper  | 2001/12/01 12:23:49 | Launching a JVM...

jvm 2    | 2001/12/01 12:23:50 | Initializing...

The
property wrapper.ping.timeout=30 in conf/wrapper.log can be used to
extend this timeout. But be aware that this will also lengthen the
amount of time that your application will remain hung in the event of a
real problem.

On busy servers we could increase the ping time out period, but only if
we're sure the JVM is actually NOT hung!